Meaning of the Sanskrit word ‘Simha’ is "Lion". When we are in this Yoga Posture, the shape of our body looks like a lion. Thus this asana is known as ‘Lion Pose’. This asana is one of the easy postures. Those who are beginners, they can do this pose without much assistance from their teachers. Other more complicated postures would require presence and active guidance of a trained teacher.
Lion pose is different than other poses of yoga. This is the pose that benefits our vital limbs like face, jaw, mouth, throat and tongue. There are perhaps no other similar poses which would provide exercises to these parts of our body.
How to Do Lion Pose
- Settle yourself in kneeling position on your yoga mat. You can sit in the posture called Thunderbolt. That would be the most comfortable position. Put the front of your right ankle over the back of the left. The feet should be pointing out to the sides. The perineum should be positioned in snuggling down onto the top your right heel.
- Before starting the lion pose, you are to exhale. Then put both the hands stretched on the floor. Keep the fingers of the hands wide open. You can also keep the fingers in a manner so as they look like the claws of a big bird.
- Now inhale deeply. Ensure that the inhaling should be done by nose only, and not by mouth.
- Open your mouth wide and stretch the tongue out as if you intend to touch your chin by the tongue. Keep the tip of the tongue down toward the chin. Both the eyes should be kept in widely open position.
- Then exhale slowly with uttering the sound “Ha”. Repeating of the same word would provide ample exercise to your throat muscles. You can repeat this pose as many times you wish.
- After doing this posture, you can come again to kneeling position.
Benefits of Doing Lion Pose
- This posture provides adequate exercise to the muscles of face, throat and eyes.
- While doing this asana, we would find that our respiration becomes regularized. Due to the regularized respiration, one would get improvement in certain ailments, especially if he or she is suffering from any trouble in throat.
- Regular practice of Lion Pose would help to improve the memory power. You mind would function with renewed flow of energy.
- As the pose indicates it would provide adequate exercises to the muscles of chest and abdomen, the practitioner would be benefited in this respect, too.