Standing Alignment in Yoga: Asana is a Sanskrit word. It means to keep our body in a particular posture. Many yogis have devised these whole set of asanas, the postures. One of the great Yogis was Patanjali who had devised many postures, which were easy and comfortable. His teaching is known as Astang Yoga, too.
Most of the postures are devised to enable us to have better physical health and a peaceful mind. These yoga postures have deep impact on our whole body, and mind and soul. The yoga postures help keeping us in a particular physical position.
If you are a new entrant in this yoga exercises, you should not remain in one posture for more time. Avoid being in one posture for longer period, as it would make your limbs paining a little bit. Ensure that you get proper and enough rest between two sessions of exercises, too. You can rest in Shavasana, as it would give you more energy to go to the next session of doing yoga postures.
The word 'Trikona' means triangle. As our body looks like a triangle in this yoga posture, this asana is called Trikonasana, the triangle pose. It is an important posture in Hatha Yoga system of yoga exercises. This pose is usually done twice, in sequence. Once it is done by facing the left and another facing right.
Triangle pose provides adequate exercise to several muscles of our body. The leg and hand muscle gets more strain, while the back muscle is also stretched. It is very popular among women.
How to do Triangle Pose
- It is one of the simplest yoga poses. First of all stand in Tadasana that is straight standing position.
your upper body forward and put you paws one metre away from your feet. Here you would be in a posture that is known as Downward Facing Dog. Bend
- Drag your left foot forward and put it just touching your left paw from behind. Now keep the left paw parallel to the left foot and try to put more weight of body on left foot and the left hand.
- Raise the right hand and twist your torso, so as it goes straight upward.
- Twist your face and try looking ceiling. Right paw should be facing rightward.
- Here your body would make a triangle, the stretched right hand being top angle of the triangle. Ensure that your torso should be parallel to yoga mat.
You can remain for 20 seconds to one minute in this posture. If you feel any unusual pain in any limb, you should come back into normal posture. Yoga system tells us to give stretch to the muscles, and not pain to any muscle or limb.
Benefits of doing Triangle Pose, Trikonasana
- If we do this pose regularly, it would help strengthening abdominal muscles, improving our digestion function. It also reduces the extra fat deposited on belly and thus helps in reducing the obesity.
- Upper legs get much exercise, as they remain stretched during this pose.
- Hamstring and hips are actively involved while we do this pose. The twists and turns provide good exercise to them.
- This yoga posture generates a sense of balance within our body.
Women are advised to practice this pose during pregnancy. But they should get prior instruction from the doctor about how to be careful while doing this posture. During the advanced stage of pregnancy, a woman should do this pose only in presence of a trained yoga teacher. This asana can be done in the manner shown above right also. Trikonasana - Triangle Pose (Image courtesy By http://theholisticcare.com[see page for license], from Wikimedia Commons)