Navasana, Boat Posture
HOW TO DO NAVASANA, BOAT POSE
- This is one of the easy types of asanas. You would hardly find any difficulty in doing it. First of all get yourself in a sitting position, comfortably.
- Now stretch the legs forward.
- Then try lifting both the legs upward and try making a ‘V’ shape.
- The torso would naturally tilt in backside. You just keep your hands stretched straight.
- This would create a posture of ‘Navasana’, the Boat Pose, as shown in the image.
BENEFITS OF DOING BOAT POSE
- As this pose gives a full twist to our abdomen, it strengthens the muscles there.
- Navasana helps digestion by stimulating the stomach and the muscles around it.
- Boat pose gives twist to the spinal cord and hip joints. it provides adequate exercise to these muscles, too.
Yoga Mat: To have mat is important while doing the yoga postures. The quality of the mat be suited to the pose, meaning it should be sooth but not very soft. if it is very soft some of the poses may cause injury, like standing on one foot. The yoga mat is available in departmental stores or malls in various shapes and sizes. It would be better to have a mat longer than your height.
Yoga Clothes and Pants: The Boat pose, and many other poses like this one, can be done with pants and shirts on. But the clothes should be selected keeping the level of sweat the posture is going to generate. If it is summer, there would be more seat while doing these postures. so the clothes made from pure cotton would be best suited to absorb the sweat. (Image courtesy By Joseph RENGER [GFDL, CC-BY-SA-3.0 or CC-BY-SA-2.5-2.0-1.0], from Wikimedia Commons)